Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Rangefinder aligment.
From: Mark Walberg <Walberg@simmons.swmed.edu>
Date: Thu, 02 Jul 1998 13:55:25 -0600

>Could someone please explain?
>
>My M6 rangfinder is "off" vertically (left to right/right to left) at
>infinity. I haven't noticed a problem with photos and yesterday ran a very
>quick and very dirty "test" by starting at 28" with my 50 summicron, and
>then backing away from a fixed object and taking a photo at each distance
>mark on the lens, including infinity. All were "sharp." So what gives?
>
>Thanks

Well. if it works, don't fix it.
However, I don't understand your description of how it's off.  "vertically
(left to right/right to left)" sounds like an oxymoron to me.  To me,
vertical misalignment means the images are out of register up and down,
while horizontal misalignment means that the focus obtained by the
rangefinder is different than the best focus at the film plane.
	It sounds like you are describing horizontal misalignment.  One
good way to adjust a rangefinder horizontally is to put the lens at
infinity focus.  (Checking to be sure the lens is really at infinity focus
is another matter altogether.)  Put the camera on a tripod and aim the
middle of the rangefinder patch at some very contrasty subject very far
away, preferably well over a mile.  Find the correct port for adjusting the
horizontal rangefinder alignment, and turn it with a screwdriver until the
images are perfectly superimposed.  Some subjects are better than others
for doing this.  A star is pretty good.  A bright small object at the
horizon is good, too.   Vertical misalignment can be adjusted using the
same subject.
Mark Walberg