Subject: RE: [Leica] M vs. G Comparison
From: srlondon@ibm.net
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 1998 22:39 -0400

As others have pointed out, the M6 and G2 are not really comparable cameras.  The issue is more about which sort of photography is right for you than which camera is "better".

The G2 and M6 are, beyond minor quibbles, both very fine (but different) cameras with excellent lens systems to back them up.  However, if you're interested in "street photography" in which a low-profile and minimal fuss is desired the M6 is king.  Take a meter reading when you step onto the street, and use a large f/stop for DOF, and you can capture anything your shutter finger is fast enough for, sans wind noise or focusing delay.  If you are interested in ultra low-light photography, the M6 is superior once again.  A selection of superspeed lenses such as the 35mm f/1.4 Summilux, 50mm f/1.0 Noctilux and 75mm f/1.4 Summilux, as well as a superior low-light focusing mechanism (the optical rangefinder give you a certain point of focus) make the M6 perfect for those who hate flash.

The G2, on the other hand, has considerable charms of its own.  Its autofocus and built-in winder make the G2 more desirable for those interested in a fuss-free experience more akin to a high-end electronic SLR or point and shoot, in which minimal intervention is required after pressing the shutter release.  The G2 is a better camera for moving subjects such as children or stage performers.

If you savor mechanical precision and are interested in being involved in every step of the photograph's production from focusing to winding the film for the next shot, you will love the M6 and its world-class lenses and ultimate selection in that regard.  If you are interested in a more automated, modern interpretation of the rangefinder, and are willing to put up with a slightly slower lens line,, consider the G2.

For what it's worth, I own both cameras, and use the G2 only when my M6 is unavailable or simply not suited to the photograph being taken.  I love my M6.  I like the G2.