Subject: Re: [Leica] V-35 Prices?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Jan 1998 00:02:46 -0600

At 10:58 PM 1/24/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Eric,
>With this discussion of enlargers, it dawned on me to ask if you remember
>the Vivitar EL lenses from about 20 years back. They were made in Germany,
>and the 80mm and 50mm ones that I have were very very good- so much so that
>I kept them when I sold my old Durst and got a 23C.
>Were they actually made by Schneider ( rumor I heard ) or by some other
>concern.

Sorry, I don't know, but I do know that Vivitar is pretty good at designing
lenses if they want to. They had a 90-180 f/4.5 zoom that was one of the
best zooms ever made. But I wouldn't doubt Schneider could have made the
lens. They seem to do a lot of work for other companies, including Leica.
If they were better than Nikkor enlarger lenses, they were darn good. (But
I'll take a 40mm focotar on a V35 any day).

Since I scan all my photos these days, darkrooms have become a moot point
for me, but I do remember with great fondness the process of printing black
and white. There's nothing like it to really see what Leica glass can do.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor.

Albert Einstein