Subject: Re: [Leica] tripod Base to protect M Body
From: Andras Iklody-Szabo <isza@link7.lat.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 1997 19:23:10 -0400

Kim,

Bob's suggestion of the rubber washer is certainly the cheapest and a
reasonably effective solution.
The next step up might be a problem if you are not an accomplished
carpenter. Besides, what wood color would go with a Leica? Would you use
aged wood for an M2 or M3 and Formica coated for the M6?
Why don't you simply get the Leica M-Handgrip (Cat. #14405), a piece of
plastic moulding, which covers large part of the baseplate (thus protecting
it), has its own centered tripod thread, does not have to be taken off for
changing film and, best of all, allows a much more relaxed and safer hand
holding of the M body. Price: about $ 100. There also seem to exist some
non-Leitz (US made?) grips for about $ 70, which I've only seen advertised.
Check it out!

>what do you do to keep the damage/wear to the bottom plate of your M-bodies
>to a minimum.  Do you tape over the bottom plate? Kim Sherman
>Kim,
>
>You can use a thin rubber washer available in hardware stores and plumbing
>supply houses to protect the M, or you can do what I did. I believe I may
>have mentioned this item before on LUG. I made a base out of wood which
>incorporates both knob for fastening the base to the camera and centered in
>the wood base, I recessed a bushing for the tripod thread. The wood base
>requires woodworking because it must be shaped to conform to the M form.
>Then, of course, drilling is required. The metal threaded components can be
>bought in any photo store. They're just the usual tripod fasteners with 1/4"
>external threads on one side and 1/4" recessed threads on the other.
>
>This wood base not only prevents scarring the M, but also centers it. And it
>weighs practically nothing.
>
>Bob R

Andras Iklody-Szabo
Caracas / Venezuela