Subject: Re: Pommy security
From: dmorton@journalist.co.uk (David Morton)
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 11:42 +0000 (PST)

Alastair Firkin wrote:

> They are right pommy b's at Heathrow.

I think that's a trifle unfair. I've never had the *slightest* bit of
evidence that the kind of modern low-dose X-ray machines they use at
LHR & LGW cause fogging, even on fast film, and neither has anyone I
know.

The security people are usually polite and efficient (at least they
always have been with me) which I suspect is no mean feat when they
have to deal with folk who turn up with three rolls of 35mm print
film, claiming to be professional photographers, and insisting on
special treatment.

When the alert status is high, they sometimes check the cameras
(lenses off bodies, front & back caps off all lenses, batteries out
of the drives) by hand *as well* as x-raying them. While this is
inconvenient, they're always pleasant about it, and if it comes to a
choice between these security measures, and a one way trip down from
30,000 feet strapped to a club-class seat, I know which one I'm
happier with.

Remember that the UK has a *long* history of terrorist attacks on
civilians.