Subject: Re: Getting serious
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 11:22:48 -0600

At 08:38 AM, you wrote:

>those were probably the ones he was best at and cared the most about.=A0 If
>you are going to have "one aesthetic conception " you could do worse (IMHO)
>than the world around us (even if it is without people most of the time).

Look at all the great painters out there who are "one aesthetic" types, and
yet are accepted in the artistic world. Or photographers. Joel Peter
Witkin, who is the most horrible photographer on the planet, as far as I
can surmise,  never gets the criticism Ansel did. And yet he is a one-trick
pony.=20

Get a fat woman, an aborted fetus, a human head sawed in half by coroners
and a stuffed monkey together and Joel Peter Witkin can make art?=20

Bah!

As for Ansel working for others, he did most of his life. It was only in
his last two decades of life that he was free of that burden. And he never
got to thousands of negatives that we shall never see with his touch.
That's truly sad.
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO