Subject: Re: Getting serious
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1997 16:21:45 -0800

Robert Rose wrote:
> Here is a warning for a new Leica owner.  Be prepared for people who are used to seeing your Nikon (or whatever) pictures to now remark, "Wow, what camera did you use for this picture?"  Or even, "Wow, what film did you use?"  Honest, it will happen.  Recommended answer:  "Oh, it's just a totally mechanical camera like the ones popular in the 40s and 50s."  NEVER ever tell anyone what the darn things cost; they will think you have lost your mind.  :-)  Just let them enjoy the finished product.

Was in camera store today for film and overhead conversation of salesman
and client couple, where salesperson  who has helped them with one of
those auto print machines, says--if you want really sharp pictures you
have to use the big cameras like the pros use.

I did restrain myself.  The salesman may even believe it.
Unfortunately, he perpetuates the myth that you need MF for anything
good.  I've had art directors tell me they need medium format for a 1/4
page photo.  Yet Peter Reid Miller shots Nike billboards with Canons.

Donal Philby
San Diego