Subject: Re: shutter speeds
From: newport_m@utpb.edu (Mark Newport)
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 97 10:05:00 -0700

>I am told that, because of the absence of a mirror, the M-camera can be
>used at comparatively longer shutter speeds than a SLR.
>
>Any opinions?
>
>BTW, once again I like to express my love for the M(asterpiece). I just
>got my slides (fuji sensia) back!
>
>Regards,
>
>Alexander Koning,
>The Hague, NL.

For me, the SLR mirror blacking out the frame has the most effect on my
shooting slow speeds.  I find that if I can visually fixate on a point in
the frame chances are that I can hold sometimes to 1 sec and get acceptable
results.  I do this with my M4-P's at 1/30 and slower a lot (with TMAX
100).  But at the university, I do this with my EOS-1N's and I am not as
sucessful.  Even sometimes when I fill flash inside at an event ( w/ K64)
that I get a little ghosting at 1/8 and slower. Even with a lightweight
type SLR like my FM2 w/ a 50, I won't try anything below 1/30.  It's just
me, I have lost my edge over the years.  Shooting slow is a lot like
shooting a scoped rifle.. deep breath in .. breath out..breath in ... let
half out ...squeeze.  BTW I have really nice 11X14 shot at 1 sec at 1.4 w/
my 35 Summilux that I will show when I get my web page up (someday).

Mark