Subject: Re: long lenses/M
From: Harrison McClary <hmphoto@delphi.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 21:44:30 +0000

CapsTeeth@aol.com wrote:
>Most
> likely,
> you don't try to follow-focus (as a less-experienced person would
> likely try
> to do) as much as pre-focus...which gets more keepers but requires
> lots of
> prior experience to predict action.

In my years of shooting sports the ONLY time I have prefocused is when
shooting baseball and I prefocus on 2nd or some other base, more because I am
bored waiting on action and hoping that by prefocusing something will happen!,
than anything else.  Shooting football I follow focus shooting at 2.8 or 4.0
max on a 400 2.8.  It does take practice, but works quite well.  As far as
ballancing a 400 2.8 on a stick....well it beats the crap out of hand holding
the thing.  BUT I did see a fellow shoting the Carolina Panthers -v- Kansas
City NFL game hand holding a Nikon 500 4P lens.  That is what I call a REAL shooter!!!;)

If Looking for a good bargin on good equipment and want a manual camera look
into an older Canon F1 and 300 2.8.  The F1 with motor runs appx 6fps, will
work on ALL shutter speeds without batteries, has a bright viewfinder, and is
relatively more inexpensive than the newer EOS gear or Nikon.
- --
Harrison McClary
http://people.delphi.com/hmphoto