Subject: Re: Televid Spotting Scope Question
From: "Roy C. Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 17:43:14 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Richard Clompus wrote:

> Has anyone compared side by side the Apo and standard version spotting
> scope for viewing or photography?  A  local "birding" and camera shop owner
> told me he couldn't tell the difference and so he uses the standard version
> of the scope.  I wonder if having the APO optics would be clearly visible
> to the discerning viewer or if it would only show up as less color fringing
> when viewing slides under high magnification.

FWIW, I got the same reaction last Saturday from the proprietor of a
birding and shop optics shop owner up here in Conncticut who knew at the
outset of the conversation that I already had the APO and that he wasn't
going to sell me either version. This fellow does use Leica binoculars so
he can't be all bad although I found intermittent eye relief problems when
I tried them. Obviously, the subjective side-by-side test may be the
only way to determine whether the APO model is really better suited to a
particular user.  I wonder if the Leica gallery in NYC has both models
available. At the time of my last visit, I wasn't in the market for a
scope, so I didn't think to check out the offerings at the counter.

The online optics newsletter, Better View Desired
(http://www.biddeford.com/~sing/BVD.html), may address the APO vs. non-APO
question.  It seems authoritative despite having ranked the Nikon scope
above the Leica.

Written by:	Roy C. Zartarian	| Prophets are not without honor
		25 Stuart Street	| except in their own country
		Newington, CT 06111 USA	| and in their own house.
		http://www.connix.com/~royzart