Subject: Re: Scratched film - how to avoid
From: "Patrick G. Sobalvarro" <pgs@sobalvarro.org>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 16:59:17 -0700

At 04:01 PM 8/16/97 -0600, Ben Holmes wrote:
>Blow out your gear as often as possible. Every time I go to the lab I ask to
>use their air. A good lab will have good clean filtered air available. Open
>the camera's back, open the shutter using the B setting and blow it out.

Ben, I have to disagree strongly with your advice here.  Compressed air,
whether clean or not, should never be directed into precision machinery.
It will blow particles in the machinery into recesses between the parts,
where the mating surfaces will be scored or offset from each other and the
machinery's precision will be compromised.  A single object with no mating
surfaces (like film, or a single part from a machine) can be cleaned with
clean low-pressure air, but an assembled machine made of multiple precision
parts should never be cleaned this way.  Ask any master machinist if you
don't believe me.

- -Patrick