Subject: batteries again
From: Stephen Kobrin <kobrins@wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 07:35:11 -0400

On vacation in Maine a few weeks ago, the PX-625 mercury battery in my
Leica Meter (MR) died unexpectedly -- I had forgotten how long I had
actually had it in the meter.  Fortunately,I had the C.R.I.S. MR-9 adaptor
with me and found that the local drugstore in Ellsworth (not the center of
anything) had a supply of S 76 batteries for $3 and change.  I used the
adaptor for the first time, and as far as I can tell, it worked perfectly.
I was shooting Velvia and see no difference in the slides, for better or
worse. Based on this experience, the MR-9 appears to be a very reasonable
solution to the mercury battery problem.

My only real concern is that the PX-625 went in a very civilized manner; it
worked perfectly one minute and was obviously heading off to battery heaven
the next.  (The needle fluttered all over the dial.)  I am not sure that
the silver S-76 will be as well mannered.  For the $3.50 or so a S-76,
costs, however, I can replace it regularly.

Sorry if this has been covered recently; I have been off the LUG since the
end of June.  However, given our previous discussions, I thought that
actual experience with the MR-9 might be of interest.

Steve