Subject: Monopods
From: firkin@netconnect.com.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 97 18:54:27 -0700

> I wonder if a light weight monopod is the compromise most
> photographers
> need for outdoor work.

G'day Richard,

Yes I use a monopod all the time when travelling. It is fantastic. Mine is
the 3rd leg of a Cullman Magic tripod. I often walk around with the thing
extended and "sheathed" through my belt like a sword. I look like a dork,
but then people seem to worry less about dorks than "athletic", snappy
looking photographers. The extension is long enough to easily hold the
camera at eye level for me (5 foot 10) and I do not often need to use an
ball head, as the freedom the monopod allows in movement is enough unless
you want to shoot vertical.

Other tricks. The pod can be wedged into fences and rails and steadied with
the foot. I carry a clamp and can therefore clamp the pod to all and sundry
and it makes a fair walking stick ;-)

Never tried the Gitzo, but I'll bet the dedicated pods are even better. Oh
I can shoot the 280 telyt on visoflex down to about 30th to 60th with good
success. (see septembers home page coming soon and due out in 2 weeks or so
to see some examples of birds shot this way in North Queensland)

Cheers

Alastair Firkin