Subject: 85-90 M and SM lenses
From: hartmann@interaccess.com (Nicholas Hartmann)
Date: Wed, 29 Jan 1997 08:31:12 -0600

I have just finished printing some pictures taken with <brief mention of
non-Leica equipment> a Nikkor 85 mm f/2 AIS on an FM2 body. At
wide-to-moderate apertures and fairly close range, the results are very
appealing: tack-sharp down to the grain of the fast film I was using, and
with a very smooth, unobtrusive quality to the out-of-focus areas. That
same lens also yielded excellent results when used at infinity for
landscapes.

However, the center of my photographic life is now an M6 with 50 and 35
Summicrons, and I am not going to drag a Nikon around just for those
occasions when I might want a tighter head shot. So this is going to sound
like sacrilege, but:

Can the LUG in its collective wisdom recommend a Leica M- or screw-mount
lens that is as good as this Nikon optic?

Notes: 1) I once tried out a Canadian 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit and was
underwhelmed: the definition, at infinity and f/8, was perceptibly poorer
than with either of the Nikkor 85s (f/2 and f/1.8) to which I compared it.
2) Marc James Small has sung the praises of the collapsible 90/4 Elmar M,
and I have no reason to doubt him. The lens appears to have collector
value, however, and seems expensive for being so ugly and so slow. 3) A
maximum aperture greater than f/4 is another nice feature of the Nikkor
lens, so what's with all the weird screw-mount lenses I see in the Woodmere
Camera flyer every month: 85/2 Canon Serenar; 85/2.8 Steinheil; 85/2.8
Super Rokkor; 85/2 Jupiter <??>; even <gasp> 85/2 Nikkor. If the optical
formula of the latter is what was reused for the AI/AIS lens, then my
search is over, but that's too much to expect...

ANY GUIDANCE WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. Thanks in advance.

- -- Nick

Nicholas Hartmann                               hartmann@interaccess.com
P.O. Box 1005                                   73057.724@compuserve.com
Oak Park, IL  60304                                       (708) 524-1191
USA                                                   fax (708) 524-1355

Technical and scientific translator:  German, French, Italian -> English