Subject: Zeiss & R Glass
From: Michael Reichmann <michael.reichmann@alphanet.net>
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 1996 09:53:16 -0500

>In the lens department, then, I see Contax as being where Leica was 5 or so years ago, with an aging >lineup that needs both some redesigns (e.g. the 25) and some new additions.

Charles,

You're quite right in what you say.  Leica has come on very strong with
its R lens line over the past few years while Contax seems to have
focused it energies on the new G series.  The only new Zeiss lens for
their SLRs is a limited production 50mm f/1.2 that they introduced a few
months ago. Scheesh.

Having said that, the 5 Zeiss lenses that I currently have are each a
joy to use.  I feel that it will take me at least another year or so
until I really have a full understanding of their strengths and
weeknesses, but that's part of the fun, isn't it?

>Of course, if the AX really works well, that will make a big difference to Contax.

The AX does in fact work quite nicely. Though not on a par with the
latest from Nikon or Canon in the AF speed department, if one has
Contax/Zeiss glass then the AX provides a wonderful path into the world
of autofocus.  I don't have the need, but for those that do it's a fine
addition.

Have a happy,

Michael
Michael H. Reichmann