Subject: R lenses....
From: Michael Hintlian <102144.2651@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 26 Dec 96 08:40:38 EST

Chris;

Of course, a $7000 180mm f2.0 is beyond the clutches of only the most well
heeled Leicaist...my comment was based on the experience of one I borrowed to
use.  Really stunning performance, I hated to give it back.  You ask about the
180 f3.4 APO...its as good as it gets without spending $7000., its one of only
several lenses that performes as well wide open as it does stopped down.  I sold
mine because I just wasn't using it...replaced it with a 70-210 f4.0 that goes
with me everywhere (it weighs less than the 180 f3.4 and is a surprisingly good
lens for what it is...don't get me started on zooms).

About the difference between the new 28M and new 28R...where to look for the
differences is in the performance at infinity and close up.  The 28R has a
floating element that automatically corrects in the closest focus range, it is
the sharpest 28 from anybody I have ever used.  The new 28M is definitely an
improvement over the E49 version (the immediate predecessor) in the close focus
range in particular.  The 28 (whether R or M) seems to have a peculiar quality
of getting soft when you work in close at wider apertures...its where I live
when I'm working.  The new 28M has gone a long way to correct this and the new
28R has all but eliminated it.  As good as the earlier 28R is, it cannot hold a
candle to the new 28R...the difference is day and night IMO.

The price feature is what got me to use the R stuff in the first place...started
with a used R6 and added lenses through time.  Now I use the R gear daily, it
faithfully shares its secrets with me.  About focusing with the R...the new R8
is arguably the brightest finder Leica has installed in an slr...try one with
any of the f1.4 R lenses to experience how good it gets, you may find your
earlier focus problems disappear...as your VISA balance expands.

Mike

P.S.:  I am in Ipswich, Massachusetts.

>>I cannot afford the new 180mm Summicron. However, I did see a mint 180mm APO
Telyt, which a like. Can you comment on this lens?

I currently have a type-1 Summicron 50mm lens for my SL2. It is 25... and I
find it to be as good as my type-2 Summicron for my M camera. The new ones
are probably even better.

You commented on the new 28mm R lens being better than the new 28mm M lens.
I am curious about your evidence. I don't doubt your findings, I am just
curious as to what to look for. The older 28 R lenses were also thought to
be very good.

In general, used R lenses appear to be more affordable than M lenses. For
example, one can buy a 90mm Summicron-R for $500. The 50mm Summicrons can be
had in mint conditions for as little as $300. This is half the price of
comparable M lenses.

I am an M camera user, but recognize that SLRs are useful sometimes. I
stopped using them, because I found them difficult to focus. Later, I found
that this was caused by astigmatism in my right eye. I am now using my left
eye for focusing.

Best regards,

Chris>>