To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Leica and APS
From: dkhong@pacific.net.sg (D Khong)
Date: Mon, 8 Jul 1996 06:41:40 +0800

At 12:53 PM 7/7/96 -0600, you wrote:

>>APS is a joke, and seroius photograhpers won't buy into it. It is
>>significantly smaller than traditinoal 35mm. I like the idea of the
>>cassette. Too bad they can't do that with reg. 35mm. But there is no way
>>traditional 35mm is going away any time soon, and when it does it will be to
>>digital. Not some new toy format.
>>
>>==========================
>>Eric Welch
>>Grants Pass Daily Courier
>>
>Eric,
>
>Serious photographers are a tiny minority, which has limited economic
>impact. It is true that 120 film is still around, mainly because there are
>serious photographers. However, If APS is successful, then it may pose a
>serious threat to 35mm. 120 film will survive 35mm may not.
>
>I don't like APS any more than you do, but let's keep in mind that the 35mm
>market economies are dominated by snap shooters.
>
>When Ilford goes APS, we should worry.
>
>Chris

Chris,

There are some film manufacturers which are not in cahoots with the major
players in APS.  But the  APS players also have a dilemma.  If they stop
making 35mm films, their competitors will have a field day just selling 35mm
films to the millions of existing 35mm camera owners.  Get ready to invest
in stocks of the remaining 35mm film manufacturers!

Dan