To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: Re: Advice Sought: Filters
From: Jorg Nolte <jon@trc.rwcp.or.jp>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 1996 12:00:24 +0900

<I want to buy some filters (yellow, orange and red) for
<my 90/f2.8 Elmarit (46 mm) and the 35mm-Summilux (39 mm).
<Does Leica sell filters? Experience with them?
Yes, they sell filters and they are very good (of course:)
<Where to
<buy them? (I live in Ithaca, NY which is centrally isolated.)
Sorry, I could tell you a place in Ginza, but I'm afraid that wouldn't
help you very much,
<
<Any other brands to look at? (Tiffen, Cokin,..??)
<
The (german made?) B&W filters are an excellent choice.
They'll produce also the rather unusual filter sizes for Leica Lenses.
(Sometimes I ask myself, whether they also produce the original Leica filters:)
Furthermore, some Leica filters (like the 43mm) have a special
ring to hold e.g. the lenshood of the 1.4/50 Summilux.
Most manufacturers other than Leica will not have this,
B&W probably has (?), but check before buying.

Otherwise, I've used B&W, Hama, Hoya and Nikon filters (all multi(?)-coated)
on my Nikon SLRs, all with good results.
The standard seems to be rather high, so
it's more a matter of personal taste and availability than quality,
I guess.
<(On occasion, I'd also love to use a polarizing filter,
<but I Think that it's a lot easier on my Nikon SLR.)
I think so, too;)

<P.S.: I entered a juried photo show last week. Three photos
<	max were permitted. Two of mine were accepted. Both
<	were taken with my M6. One with the Elmarit and the
<	other with the Summilux (a 20 by 30 inch print!)

Congratulations,
  Joerg