To: leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
Subject: M4/M5 eye piece scrathes glasses
From: nonnecke@snowhite.cis.uoguelph.ca (Blair Nonnecke)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 1994 12:09:13 +0000

I have a problem when using eye glasses with M5's and older M4's. When I
bring the camera up to my eye, the metal ring at the back of the view
finder scratches the glasses. I tried a number of less than satisfactory
solutions to reduce the scratching. First, I took tape and covered the
ring, and carefully cut back the excess tape. This works fine, as long as
the tape stays put, eventually it falls off leaving the adhesive on the
ring. Next, I used silicone caulking, which worked very well and then fell
off after 3 weeks. Contact lenses work great, but my eyes feel like they
are full of sand in about 3 hours.

Leitz claims that there is no "official" solution, and offered no practical
advice. Anyone out there have this problem, and if so, what have you done
about it?