To: leica-users
Subject: RF focus speed
From: kbb0@gte.com
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1992 15:32:47 -0400

Mark Eastman writes:

> [Stuff deleted]
>
> Generally the Leica does seem faster to focus because of the thumb
> tab on certain lenses allowing one to "memorize" certain distance
> positions. I found that in tight quarters with many objects in the
> frame, in low light, it can be hard to line-up the rangefinder quickly.
> Maybe it was because this was at close range (or the fact that I did
> the shoot at two in the morning :^), but it just seemed easier to focus
> the 28mm SLR lens at close range (3-6ft) than the Leica set-up.
>
> The clarity of the Leica finder to me makes up for the small rf rectangle
> to contend with combined with the thumb tab comment above.
>
> Anyone other comments?

Interesting, I have the opposite problem. When shooting my 90mm/f 2 wide
open in low light, more of my intended subject is within that little rf
rectangle. A specific thing or object (like an eye in a portrait) at the
desired plane of focus is easier for me to pick out when shooting even a
50mm. I guess that when the split images occupy a more specific region
of the intended framing, my results are better. I tried an M3 with the
90mm/f 2 and these guys really seemed to be made for each other.

Back to your point though, I guess if I were shooting wide angles up
close in low light a delta change in subject distance might require a
greater percentage of focus adjustment under these circumstances. Then
again, modern SLR focus screens are getting pretty bright too.

Regards, Kevin